Monday, April 29, 2013

Another great book

In the book, Ralph set an animal trap and caught a pheasant, which at the time was against the law.  He tried to hide it covered with blood; only to saturate his coat and make a mess.  When he arrived home his father noticed he looked like he had seen a ghost. "What did you do, get your own foot in your trap?"
I said, "No, sir,"  Then I went ahead and told him about catching the pheasant, but I didn't tell him about wanting to hide it.  I asked him if he thought they'd put me in the hoosegow, ... if the sheriff finds out about it.

Father didn't say a word for a minute or two.  Then he said, "It isn't a case of 'if the sheriff finds out about it.'  It's a case of you breaking the law without intending to.  If you tried to cover it up, you'd be running away from the law.  Our prisons are full of men whose first real crime was running away because they didn't have courage enough to face punishment for a small offense.  Tomorrow you must go to see the sheriff.  I'll explain to Mother about your coat."......

After breakfast I begged Father to go to Fort Logan with me to see the sheriff, but he said, "No.  You haven't learned to ask for advice before you get into scrapes, and it isn't fair to expect help in getting yourself out every time."  

(Great lessons were taught from the perspective of this young boy of about nine years old.)  If you read the book, let me know what you think.

0 comments: